The Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA) will hold its annual conference on the 24 July 2015, in Addis Ababa, where the International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD), The Institute of Development Studies (IDS) and Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI) have organised two panels on taxation. The key organiser of the tax sessions of the EEA conference is Andualem Mengistu from EDRI, who is also an ICTD researcher.
This conference will provide an opportunity for researchers working on taxation in Ethiopia to come together and exchange ideas and findings, and the ICTD has contributed substantially to that body of research.
Some of the papers to be presented include:
- Aid and Taxation: Evidence from Ethiopia, by Giulia Mascagni
- Information Technology and Fiscal Capacity in a Developing Country: Evidence from Ethiopia by Merima Ali, Abdulaziz Shifa, Abebe Shimeles and Firew Woldeyes
- Deterrence versus Persuasion: Tax Compliance in Addis Ababa by Abebe Shimeles and Firew Woldeyes, Daniel Gurara
- Distribution of Effective Tax Burden Across firms in Ethiopia by Giulia Mascagni, Andualem Mengistu
- Tax compliance costs in developing countries: Evidence from Ethiopia by Wollela Abehodie Yesegat, Jacqueline Coolidge, Laurent Olivier Corthay
- Over-taxation or tax-evasion? By Abdulaziz Shifa, Merima Ali
- The Distributional Impact of Fiscal Policy in Ethiopia by Tassew Woldehanna, Eyasu Tsehaye, Ruth Hill